PHONE: 03 9372 0096 EMAIL:

Applicants overseas

Reeves Valentine Immigration has  a particular focus on the provision of immigration advice and assistance to residents of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Middle East. Our agents have considerable personal experience in living and working in the UAE. In particular, Michael Burns, our Principal agent had two diplomatic postings to Dubai where he  managed the Australian visa processing office providing services to the Gulf Region.

Our consultants regularly travel to the UAE to meet with prospective visa applicants.

Please contact us for information on when our consultants will next be in the UAE (or elsewhere in the Middle East) and we will be happy to arrange a time to meet with you to discuss your personal situation and offer advice on possible visa pathways.

Otherwise for applicants overseas please see the following information on possible visa options.

For those persons who have entered into a relationship with an Australia citizen or permanent resident (or in some cases eligible New Zealand citizens)  there are a number of visa options open to you depending on whether you are married, in a de facto relationship or engaged to be married.

All the visa subclasses require you to be sponsored by your Australian citizen, permanent resident (or eligible NZ citizen) partner.

Subclass 300 (Temporary residence) – Prospective Marriage Visa.

This visa is only available to applicants currently living overseas. It provides you with a visa to travel to Australia and you must marry you intended partner within 9 months of arrival.

Once you are married then you can apply for further temporary residence Partner Visa (please see the information under Applicants in Australia)

Subclass 309 (Temporary Residence) or Subclass 100 (Permanent Residence) Partner Visa

This also an offshore visa available to those persons who are either married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident (or eligible NZ citizen) partner .

(De Facto Partners – Usually de facto relationships must have existed for at least 12 months immediately prior to the application being made.)

You must lodge the application overseas and be overseas when the visa is granted.

This is a two stage process. If you are granted a Subclass 309 partner Visa you will be able to travel to Australia and remain as a temporary resident (with work rights) for a period of two years.

At the end of that period if you are still in a genuine relationship with your sponsor then you can be granted permanent residence.

Sometimes depending on the length of your relationship, whether or not you have any children from the relationship, it may be possible to be granted a Subclass 100 (Permanent Visa) which will allow you to enter Australia as a permanent resident without first having to go through the two year period of temporary residence.

Please contact us for more information on Partner Visa options.

We also offer specialised advice and assistance with other family visa such as:

Child Visas (including Adoption and Orphaned Relative situations)

You are able to sponsor your child if you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident (or eligible NZ citizen).

The child (biological or legally adopted) can be either in Australia or overseas. In most cases the child must be under the age of 18, dependent on you and not married or engaged to be married.

It is sometimes possible for a relative (brother, sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew of step equivalent) to be able to sponsor a Orphaned Relative child who is under 18, single and not engaged to be married who is unable to be cared for by their parents because they are both deceased, missing or permanently incapacitated.

Please contact us for more information on Child Visa options.

Parent Visa

Parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident (or eligible NZ citizen) may be eligible for either temporary or permanent residence in Australia if:

  • Their child has been living in Australia as a permanent resident for two years of more,
  • That child sponsors them,
  • They meet the Balance of Family Test criteria, and
  • They can meet health and character requirements.

The Government has also just announced that a new Temporary Sponsored Parent Visa will be introduced in November 2017. This visa will allow the temporary stay of sponsored parents for periods of 3 to 5 years and may be renewed up to a total of 10 years.

Please contact us for more information on Parent Visa options.

Other Family Visa Options

There are also a number of other Family Visa options that might be available to you if you are a relative of an Australian citizen, permanent resident (or eligible NZ citizen) such as Aged Dependent Relative, Remaining Relative and Carer Visas.

Please contact us for more information on other Family Visa options.

General Skilled Migration Visas

There are two main General Skilled Migration visa subclasses for persons overseas:

  • Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
  • Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)

Applying for these types of visas is a multi – step process.

It usually requires you to establish that you have a occupation that is recognised as ‘skilled’ in Australia and for which there is a shortage in Australia.

These occupations are listed on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL)) and the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List (CSOL)

If your occupation is listed then you will need to confirm that your particular job skills and training would be recognised is Australia. Each occupation is assessed by a different organisation (See the SOL and CSOL Lists)

If your job skills are recognised and you have the required work experience then these, plus your age and English language ability are used to determine if you can gain enough points to pass the Points Test. Sponsorship from an Australian State or Territory Government or your family in Australia can also provide you with additional points to reach the pass mark.

Once you are satisfied you meet the points test then you can lodge an Expression of Interest with the Immigration Department.

The Australian Immigration Department will then consider your Expression of Interest and if accepted they will invite you to lodge a formal visa application.

Only when the ‘invitation’ is made can you lodge the actual visa application.

Please contact us for more information on General Skilled Migration visa options.

Temporary Employment

Subclass 457 – Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa

The primary temporary visa that allows a person to work in Australia is the Subclass 457 Temporary  Work Skilled)Visa.

The Government announced on 19 April 2017 that the 457 visa will be abolished in March 2018 and replaced with a new temporary employment visa called the temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa. Further information about the new TSS visa can be found in our Blog.

However, in the meantime the 457 visa will continue to be available.

This visa allows skilled workers from overseas to be employed by Australian businesses who are unable to obtain those skills within the existing Australian workforce.

This visa allows for up to 4 years temporary stay in Australia.

The 457 application is a 3 stage process.

The first stage is that the proposed Australian Employer must be an  ‘approved business sponsor”. Reeves Valentine  Immigration can work with businesses in lodging the appropriate sponsorship application.

After the business holds approved sponsor status they can then ‘nominate’ the specific skilled position within their business that they wish to fill with an overseas worker and the particular overseas worker they wish to employ. There are a number of specific criteria that this ‘nomination’ needs to meet, such as:

  • The proposed salary meeting the legislative minimum
  • The position be assessed as skilled and appears on either the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Short-term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL)
  • Labour Market testing (if required)
  • The proposed employee has the required work experience and skills to meet the needs of the position
  • The proposed employee has the requisite English language ability

Once again we, at Reeves Valentine Immigration, can assist businesses in lodging a valid nomination.

The final stage once the nomination has been approved is the actual visa application.


Please contact us for more information on Temporary Employment Visa options.


We can assist you in the full range of Investment and Business Innovation migration options such as:

Significant Investor Visa

This visa provides investors and entrepreneurs with a very simple pathway to obtaining permanent residence in Australia.

It is specifically focused on successful business persons who are prepared to make an investment in Australia of at least AUD$5 million.

The Significant Investor visa offers;

  • No age restriction
  • Reduced English requirements which can be bypassed by payment of additional visa application fees to the Government
  • Reduced need to only remain in Australia for 160 days over a 4 year period
  • No requirement to meet the usual Business Innovation or Investment points test.

Business Innovation Visa

There are a few visa streams in this category, they include:

  • Business Innovation stream for those persons who want to own and mange a new or existing business in Australia
  • Investor stream for those persons who make a designated investment of at least AUD$1.5 Million in an Australian State or Territory
  • Business Talent visa for those persons with a significant business history and significant assets who want to have a major management role in a new or existing Australian business

Please contact us for more information on Significant Investor or Business Innovation Visa options.